Friday, June 13, 2008

Friday the Thirteenth

Friday the thirteenth...and nothing bad has happened to me. Actually, it's been a pretty good day! Jay and I went to lunch today, and after lunch, we went to pick up my new ring!!!! I'm so excited. For those of you who know the whole engagement ring story, you understand. I will have to post pictures soon.

I was curious about the origin of the superstition behind Friday the Thirteenth, so I did a little research. (Yes, I know I'm a nerd - I do research at work AND in my spare time!) Apparently, the fear of Friday the Thirteenth stems from two fears: the fear of Friday and the fear of the number thirteen. The "Christian-based" theory is based on the fact that Christ was crucified on a Friday so Friday is already a "bad" day. (Some people believe that Adam & Eve ate the forbidden fruit on a Friday - where that belief comes from, who knows.) Also, the number thirteen is considered unlucky because Judas was the thirteenth person to arrive at the Last Supper, as he was busy selling out Jesus to the Sanhedrin. It is considered unlucky by superstitious people to sit down in groups of 13 to eat.

Another theory is that in British history, people were traditionally put to death on Fridays, and there were 13 steps leading up to the noose. There are many more theories; check out the following links

Why Friday the Thirteenth is Unlucky

How Friday the Thirteenth Works

Whether you had a good day or not, the day of the week and the number thirteen had nothing to do it, no matter what "scientific" studies say. If you have paraskavedekatriaphobia (the fear of Friday the Thirteenth), good luck spelling your phobia! :)

One of my favorite Bible verses (from my favorite Bible book) concerns fear:

I John 4:18

There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love.

Have a great weekend! :)

No comments: