Friday, February 1, 2008

Exciting Friday night...and pimento cheese

This week has been so busy! Work was really really busy. Nine hours just doesn't give you ANY downtime during tax season, especially not with the deadline yesterday.

Jay is taking the LSAT tomorrow, so we didn't do too much tonight. We went to El Potrillo, and then went to check out the new Kroger on the "other side" of the interstate (by the Home Depot & Bonefish). Isn't sad that we planned to do that on a Friday night??? It is so cool! They have a sushi bar (bleh!) and a cheese bar!!!! I picked up some gouda to try one night this week. And I finally found some gourmet (low-cal) crackers I have been dying to try since I read about them on the Internet. WASA crackers. They don't have them at the Kroger that is 2 minutes from us. Rumor has it (according to Jay) that Madison is getting a Whole Foods store! I went in one with Audrea when I went to visit her in Austin. The one here is suposed to be large....50,000 square feet. Crazy!

Speaking of food, I had been craving pimento cheese recently. It wasn't something I didn't start eating it until a few years ago. My parents ate it sometimes when I was growing up, out of the Mrs. Stratton tub, but I would never try it (which is really strange considering how much I like cheese). Anyways, I was looking for a lower fat alternative, so I adapted a recipe and came up with this:

Lowfat Pimento Cheese
8 servings

2 oz lowfat cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup fat-free mayo
3/4 cup shredded 2% sharp cheddar cheese
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper*
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
2 oz pimentos

Mix all ingredients together in a bowl. Refrigerate for at least an hour (to "ripen") before serving.
* can adjust cayenne pepper to taste. It has a good kick with 1/4 teaspoon.

Jay won't eat pimento cheese, so Leigh came over and had some with me Tuesday while Jay was in night class. I have enjoyed the leftovers in my lunch this week on white-wheat bread and stuffed into celery.

Oh, and Jay is watching the Bob Saget:That Ain't Right comedy special on HBO. This is the third time we've seen it. It upsets me greatly to hear Danny Tanner dropping f bombs all over the place. Somehow I don't know if Full House reruns will ever be the same again.

No comments: