Saturday, January 12, 2008

Yam or sweet potato?

Jay had his class this morning :( so I had to go to the grocery store by myself. Its been awhile since I've bought a week's worth of groceries by myself. I remembered why when I got to my car and tried to fit them all in!!!! Two seater convertibles aren't meant for women who go to the grocery store!

I had some confusion in the grocery store today. I had to buy sweet potatoes to make a roasted sweet potato dish for tomorrow night when Jay's dad comes over. I saw a sign that said yams but no sweet potatoes. I had to buy the yams, but I was wondering what the difference was (if there was any). Of course, I turned to the source of answers to all of those nagging questions in life: Wikipedia. They are close cousins, but not the same. Except for here in the south where we like to confuse things and use the two terms interchangeably. Confusing!

I had to read a book in World Lit, and I don't remember the name of it. All they did in the whole book was eat yams. I still refer to it as "the yam book." Apparently it was a bestseller. I think I was too distracted by the fact they ate yams the entire book (and even traded yams for wives) that I missed the deeper message. (Note: I made a ridiculously high A in this class)

The weather here is gorgeous! Abby played in the back yard without any complaints. She got out of the back yard and I had to chase her in the front yard in my trouser jeans, high heels, and cashmere hoodie. I'm sure I looked quite ridiculous because the neighbor across the street was laughing at me. He and Abby were the only ones having fun! I rode around with the top down for a little while. My personal rule is that the sun has to be shining and the temperature must be above 60 degrees before I go topless. I'm looking forward to taking a walk this afternoon.

I went to my "secret" sale place today. I say it's a secret because the only person I've told about it is Leigh (and she's had even better luck than I've had!) The sale wasn't good as it has been before but I did get a couple of things.

I had a couple of gifts left to take back to Belk. I had a hard time deciding what to get. In the end, I got an oval Armetale bowl (I am obsessed with it now!) and a Fiestaware pie plate (red of course!). Buying home stuff is sooo much fun but I pretty much have everything that I need now, or at least for a little while.

No comments: